I haven’t ever been through a bad TV-style break-up. If you’ve ever watched a chick flick or any show that you can find by randomly clicking through channels, you know what I’m referring to.
A guy and girl will be dating and they are perfect together. Then suddenly, one or the other (usually the guy) will arrange a dinner/date/outing and then break the news that they’re no longer interested in their boyfriend/girlfriend. If the dumped person is a guy, then TV states that he will mourn by playing video games, withdrawing from society, clubbing (usually forced to go by a well-intentioned friend) and/or long walks by himself. If the person is a woman, however, she will respond by sobbing, eating unusually high amounts of carbs, watching sappy movies, listening to sad music, or some combination of these.
I’m not claiming that this necessarily represents reality. Although it might. Like I said, I’ve never been through a bad break-up. At most, I might be sad for a while. I think I cried once. But no romantic relationship that I have ever been in has been so
important to me that its termination would lead to a sorrow-and-ice-cream induced state of comatose. There are things that would trigger such a scenario, though. These include (in no particular order):
- Cancellation of a favorite TV show
- Listening to certain songs (An example, much to my everlasting shame, is “Please Don’t Leave Me” by P!nk. I know, I hate me too)
- Watching certain movies (Old Yeller, Toy Story 3, Casablanca, Serenity etc.)
- Any major fight with someone I’m close to.
- Watching certain TV episodes [“The Reichenbach Fall” (Sherlock), “Doomsday” (Doctor Who), “The Lady of the Lake” (Merlin)etc.]
- Pretty much anything Rose/Doctor or Daniel/Vala related. Yes, I ship fictional couples with an enthusiasm that is quite sad from an objective point of view.
- On a particularly emotional day, certain books have this effect.
And more, I’m sure.
The whole reason I’m writing this is that I feel like I’ve just been through a TV-style break-up. And I have a cold 😦 Sigh… oh well. Cue the ice cream, ridiculous movies, and Kleenex.
(I think I may have already posted something similar to this… 😛 )
Is this a normal thing? Do you ever have this feeling? I don’t think that I’m alone in this. I’d love it if you’d comment with what triggers TV-style break-up symptoms for you. Maybe we’ll have some in common!
See ya tomorrow!