Yeah, I know. I have millions of topics to choose from and I choose freaking zombies. But they keep popping up in my life so…. (Plus, it was either zombies or vampires, and vampires conjure up images of ….Twilight! *Shudder)Don’t worry, I did my research.
A zombie is the body of a dead person given the semblance of life, but mute and will-less, usually for some evil purpose. (Dictionary.com)
(And for those of you who think that I’ve deleted my brain, “zombie” can also refer to a philosophical zombie. A philosophical zombie is a concept used in the philosophy of mind, a field of research which examines the association between conscious thought and the physical world. A philosophical zombie is a hypothetical person who lacks full consciousness but has the biology or behavior of a normal human being; it is used as a null hypothesis in philosophical debates regarding the mind-body problem. The philosophical context of the term zombie was coined by philosopher David Chalmers in the mid-1990s. ) (Wikipedia)
The zombies aren’t dead, but they should be. They’re relentless and oblivious to pain, and they continue to attack even after losing limbs. Usually, anyone the zombies kill returns as a zombie, so they quickly evolve from a nuisance to a plague. (HowStuffWorks)
They are terrifying. And for those of you who scoff, zombification could actually occur under the right circumstances, involving everything from parasites to nanobots.
But don’t worry! HowStuffWorks.com has created a handy survival guide:
- Don’t panic.
- Get away from the zombies. Most of the time, you can move faster than they can.
- Gather food, water, an emergency radio, flashlights and weapons, and retreat to a secure location.
- If possible, retreat to a shopping mall, general retail store or other location where you’ll have easy access to food and supplies.
- Stay away from densely populated areas, where the infestation is likely to be heaviest.
- Barricade all entrances and stay put at all costs.
- Don’t get surrounded or backed into a corner or other enclosed space.
- Remember that anyone bitten or killed by a zombie will become a threat to you and your party.
- Wait patiently for rescue and make long-term preparations for your survival.
Also, avoid mistakes such as:
Also, avoid common mistakes like:
- Sheltering in a vehicle to which you do not have the keys
- Leaving blades, cudgels or other basic weapons out for zombies to find
- Teaching zombies how to use firearms
- Giving your only weapon to anyone who is hysterical
- Retreating to a basement or cellar without taking supplies with you
- Getting into an elevator in a building infested with zombies
- Letting personal feelings and arguments get in the way of survival
My favorite zombie -related things are listed below:
And three ALLCAPS songs (You have to listen to them in order!)
My favorite lines are:
You yell and “hey” and you fire a shotgun
But um, wait… where’d you get the shotgun?
We could have used a shotgun a minute ago.
And now our undead pair went forth
Unhinded by the shackles of fearful feeling
Moved neither by patron nor goal
They, well they, didn’t feel much of anything.
*Note: Is it sad that I wrote a post about zombies twice as long as my post about love? There is something wrong with me…